Sunday, November 2, 2008

Motomachi Shokudo


Motomachi Shokudo on UrbanspoonI was craving a big hot bowl of something today and ramen seemed to fit the description perfectly. Even though I am not a ramen fan, you know how you don't have something for a very long time and then you think.. oh maybe I'll give it a shot, maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember. and then you eat it and then you go what the hell was I thinking, I didn't like this food for a reason.
sorry that was a random thought. It always happens to me.. with mac and cheese. Ugh. and now, kinda with ramen.

After eliminating kintaro ramen and benkei ramen from the list, we headed off to motomachi shokudo on Denman St. The place is very small but clean and cozy. We really dug the wooden seats with the step stool thing on it. Since I am not the tallest person around (or tallest person ever.) it was good to have a place to put my feet comfortably :) We both ordered a bowl of ramen. I had the charcoal bamboo dark miso ramen and she had the spicy chicken. The food came quickly and the service was so nice. She's like "Sorry for the wait, please enjoy" or something along those lines even though it wasn't very long and I have definitely had longer waits at other places without being apologized to (ahem, below posts).

The bowl of ramen were pretty decent for 10 dollars. Apparently the spicy chicken was very good. The bamboo charcoal was o-k.. except it was a little too salty for me. I didn't enjoy it too much unfortunately :(


Afterwards, we went to gyoza king for deep fried taro yam balls and gyu yukke. The yam balls were... weird.. They were solid balls of taro yam. ok. that wasn't a very good description of the crappiness of the dish because you are probably thinking obviously it is balls of taro yam balls.. given by the name of the dish. But it wasn't what I had expected?? I don't know how to explain, but it wasn't very good. The gyu yukke on the other hand was very yummy. I think it was because I didn't expect the sauce to be sweet and it really balanced out the dish. mm yum. And another plus- no wait today! (but I didn't need to see my waitress put on even more makeup than she was wearing behind the counter).