Thursday, March 27, 2008

Update on pictureless restaurants

Me and my friend were craving chocolate one Sunday night and decided to go to Koko Cafe. We shared the chocolate cake thing. I actually wanted the chocolate pizza thing but they didn't have any. Since I was sitting at the bar, I could see what they were doing. I wasn't really impressed at the 10 dollar chocolate cake because it was microwaved and then placed ice cream and whipped cream on top. I don't even like ice cream! My friend loved it because she loves chocolate and ice cream and whipped cream. oh well..

I've been to several Izakayas recently and I love them. Guu in Gastown is great. The karaage and the sweet potato croquette is totally worth it. The same cannot be said for the mountain yam steak or the omlette thing. They were so disgusting. We had 2 bites and couldn't even finish . damn. even the people sitting near us asked us what's wrong.. hahaha
Hapa Izakaya is really cute but nothin really stood out
Kingyo on the other hand, I recommend hands down. Although we had a really disgusting rice thing, the atmosphere and the menu choice is really impressive. Too bad the food we got sucked, i had two bites and then drank my drink, which by the way was alcoholic so I was impressed. (most asian places give drinks that are not grr). Definitely coming back again :)
Kamei Royale is really good too although I just had the skewers. The waitresses/waitors were so cute. they didn't even make sense they just said ohannayaya and roloroboro HAHAHAA we were like what the fuck but it was funny.

Gyu was fucking horrible. I fucking hate that place and is boycotting it. They tried the whole I don't speak english well shit and try to sucker you into ordering more food by sayin yes crap. omg. fuck off??? If you really need, I will speak cantonese to you if I have to. Me and my friend just wanted to order A la Carte and I guess not a lot of people do, so she had to go and talk to the manager several times to see if we could.. um what the hell? and then I asked if we could share the D combo. she goes "A share good. so A D share good" What the fucking hell. if I heard that I would have thought she thinks A is a good one to share too, not to have Both A And D. Oh and to top it off, they didn't have daiquiri on a friday night at 5:00pm. When you first open, you already don't have supplies??

Another place I am not impressed with was Glowbal. The first time I went I already didn't like it but since they sent me a free dessert for 2 I decided to go again. We shared a pasta, we didn't ask them to split it up but they did it voluntarily for us. We would have been glad to split it up ourselves. So we thought it was a nice gesture. When the bill comes, there was a 3 dollar added for splitting charge WHAT. THE . FUCK. are you shitting me? for splitting my meal, you charge me 3 dollars when I didn't even goddamn ask you to? Milestones or Blue Water doesn't charge, I thought Glowbal was upscale. I was not impressed with the waitor either who kept touching my back and lowering himself right into my face and tried to talk in this "seductive " voice which just turned out to be slow and lame. The dessert was good though. my friend wanted to pay debit and the "seductive" waitor says they have an atm machine in the back.. the atm machine turns out to be broken. He then "seductively" tells her to go around the block to use the TD bank. wtf. I am so not impressed and staying away from all glowbal restaurants after I try Sanafir.

Two days ago I went to Aqua Riva for dinner. I had the salmon, it was ok. The waitress was really good. she was professional, kind, unobtrusive, and what a waitress should be. The view is really nice. We then went to Century which was D-e-a-d. I wanna try clubbing there one day though, heard it was really good. Oh we also went to Bacchus for a glass of wine which took them about half an hour to get to us.

Other recent places include Pinkys, we just had appys there which weren't good but the wine was =) and Joey Tomatoes (the new one on burrard). We had the mini cheeseburgers which were ordinary and the greek wrap which wasn't good. It didn't help that a drunk suit decided to hit on me and think he was so cool speaking cantonese at me which sucked ass. White people should not hit on asians by speaking asian. It's creepy, not impressive.