Thursday, September 10, 2009

DB Bistro Moderne

DB Bistro Moderne on Urbanspoon A random night turned into going to DB Bistro Moderne over on Broadway/Kitsilano side. We sat outside, and I didn't get a chance to see the room very well. It was during one of the heatwave humid days in August, but nonetheless, sitting outside wasn't so bad. I wanted to people watch. haha. and obviously, the lighting was much better.

We ordered an appetizer, a tarte flambe. For some dumb reason, I thought it was something with fire and tableside. But nah, it's actually thin bread with toppings. For ours, it was onions, bacon and fromage blanc. It was very crispy and nice, the bread. However, I found the onions to be a little overpowering..

For main, I ordered the peasant tortellini and friend had the halibut. We got complimentary bread that was very cold. I didn't touch it. Fyi, for the tortellini, there is an appetizer version and main. Even though I ordered the main, it was still pretty small!!! It was a little salty but the ingredients were so fresh. I can't believe how much of a difference fresh ingredients really does make. Every single bite was great. The Halibut was supposedly very good too. I had one of the potatoes croquette things (the circular things) and yummy. Too bad we were both very very full, or else dessert would have been ordered.

The service was very nice and she wasn't intrusive but did try to converse with us. The only downside was when wind swept leaves and other things from trees into my tortellini. boo.