Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Rhizome Cafe, Central City Brewing + Club Ilia

Oi.. I briefly mentioned a new restaurant in gastown (not mentioning it again so it won't get more views on this site) and people are coming to my website from google expecting a review on them (same with sushiwa in van)... makes me wanna go there so i CAN review it and people won't feel disappointed.. :/

Rhizome Cafe on Urbanspoon I went to Rhizome cafe for brunch one sunny morning. There was a line up for seats but we got a table after 15 minutes. The room is quite spacious and had a casual laid back feel. I believe there are lots of events that goes on at this cafe so they would be great to check out one day.

They have a pretty decent selection of food choices including the good ol' norms such as eggs benny, omelettes, and pancakes. However, the thing that makes this place special is the fact that they use healthy foods and some that you might not usually find in a usual breakfast joint. Stuff such as Kamut-banana pancakes, or Breakfast polenta, or even the golden miso tofu scramble. Wow. I decided to have the Eggs Rhizomedict which were eggs benny with squash sauce, spinach and peppers, while my friend had the Pumpkin seed pesto tofu scramble. They come with a choice of roots or salad (are roots just potatoes? I can't tell the difference if it isn't?), or both. And the scramble came with corn muffins. The server asked us if we were running late or if it was okay if food took awhile to come out. We had no problem with time since we were hoping to catch up from a long overdue brunch date so we told them it was fine to wait. I thought this was a very nice gesture, to let us know the food will take awhile.. Since I am quite an impatient person.. after 15-20 minutes, stare downs at my waitresses and the chefs might ensue.

The food comes and wow it is beautiful! The colors were amazing and everything looked great. And the food really doesn't disappoint. I found my eggs benny to be perfect with the squash sauce, and apparently the tofu scramble was nothing to complain about. If you are looking for a good brunch spot, definitely give rhizome cafe a try :)


Central City Brewing company is located at Surrey Central in the same mall as SFU Surrey. It is a nice, one of the higher class pubs with all sorts of food and specials (although I find the prices a little more expensive). I've been here many years ago for a hockey game which led to a nice burger and some random shots. After class one day, we decided to venture here for some drinks food and hockey game. They have televisions situated at different parts of the restaurant so you can see a screen wherever you were sitting with a large one in the back. I had the wings with maui glaze.. Half off special, friend had cheesy bread with meat sauce. The wings were tasty (sweet and teriyaki like) and there were ample amount of wings. While the cheesy bread were nice as well. Decent meal, great game (because we won), good times.


We were low on time but I wanted something good to eat over Subway, so we went to Club Ilia at Cornerstone for lunch. Located right next to Himalayan and Renaissance, the place is stylish and a perfect addition to the community. We told them we had little time and they made sure to rush everything. Service was prompt and nice. Food took a while to get out, but the pizza probably took awhile to bake. I had to carbonara pizza with Caesar Salad for 9.99 (lunch special). The salad was good and the pizza was decent.. Too much onions for me personally. Had the rest wrapped up and off we went to class with 10 minutes to spare. They have decent drink specials as well. Damnit, why did they open a year after I stopped living here (same with nesters).